Can body hair be transplanted on the head during hair restoration surgery?
Yes, transplanting body hair on the head during hair transplant surgery is a new technique that is gaining popularity these days. Hair Surgeons usually extract hair from the back of the scalp which is also known as donor area during the surgery. But due to scarcity of donor area surgeons also consider body hair for transplantation.
In fact, there are some factors when the surgeon will consider body hair that is mentioned below:
- If a patient is having limited hair on the back of the scalp.
- Camouflaging donor scars.
- The patient is experiencing excessive scarring alopecia.
- To augment the coverage.
These are the circumstances when a surgeon takes hair from body parts.
Who is suitable for body hair transplantation on the head?
Before undergoing the surgery, the surgeon will examine you and check whether you are the right candidate for undergoing a body hair transplant. In fact, body hair transplant is also known as TDI i.e. Torso Donor Index. But before undergoing you should meet some requirements that are mentioned below:
- Hair Density> 40 FUs/sq. Cm.
- The patient should be having similarities between body and scalp hair.
- The follicular units with 2 to 3 hair follicles.
- The surgeon will check the patient’s size of the donor area.
- The surgeon will also check the length of body hair.
You should secure who will help you in making the right candidate for the surgery.
What is the procedure of body hair transplant?
With the help of follicular unit extraction, the surgeon will perform the surgery.
- The surgeon can transplant from 500 to 4000 grafts within one or two days. The surgeon will perform the surgery by taking a break in between. After extraction of the graft, the surgeon will take a break and after some time the surgeon will start by transplanting hair grafts in the scalp of the patient.
- The patient should make sure to shave the donor area before surgery only.
- The surgeon will perform the surgery by giving local anesthesia to the patient.
- The wounds of the patients will take 4 to 5 days to heal. By that time patients should apply prescribed ointment on the scalp post-surgery.
- The patient will see the desired results in the 3 months post-surgery. With passing months, the hair will start growing and by the end of 12 months, he will be able to see the results.
What are the key success factors?
Below are the factors that help you in achieving the desired goal.
- Right extraction of hair follicles.
- The growth cycle of body hair.
- Compatibility should be there between body and head hair.
- Experience of the surgeon.
- The extracted hair should be kept in error-free storage.
- Correct arrangement of grafts.
- The hairline is also important.